This is the home page for all things Disney Quilt Swap-related!
There are 58 participants in this round. We have participants from the Australia, Canada, Germany, the UK, and the US!! It truly is a small world, after all. I’m so excited to see what everyone creates!
In response to feedback from last year, there are NO ASSIGNED TEAMS. We are ALL one big group and your mini could come from ANY of the participants. Comment on each others’ posts, offer ideas, commentary, and friendship! If you find any “sew-sisters/brothers” in the group with similar interests, feel free to create your OWN hashtags to capture your VIBE (like #dqs2020Villains or #dqs2020Princesses). There just MAY be some special prize for the most active participants….hint hint.
Any breaking of the rules may result in being removed from this and any future swaps!
- You MUST be following me as I will use Instagram for all group communication.
- Keep your Instagram profile PUBLIC throughout the entire swap.
- This is a SECRET SWAP. Please DO NOT reveal your partner’s name, and do not tag them in any photos posted. It’s a secret!
- Use your partner’s MOSAIC to decide your quilt pattern. Remember that this quilt is for them – not for you.
- Make a mini- quilt between 14- 24 inches on each side (does not need to be square).
- Please label your finished item ONLY once you’ve gotten the green-light to ship. OR, attach a label without your partner’s name on it. Make sure to include your name and swap hashtag ( #disneyquiltswap2020).
- NO EXTRAS are required, BUT you can add 1 small extra item if you wish – completely optional. Common extras are a postcard from where you live, a small sewing notion etc. But, again, TOTALLY OPTIONAL. Do not expect any extras.
- Photos – AT LEAST 3 photos of your progress throughout the swap: 1 progress post, 1 completion post, and 1 confirming receipt when you get your quilt from your partner. You may post BEFORE but not after these dates.
- TODAY – OPTIONAL introductory selfie up with your favorite Disney memory/story.
- 1 PROGRESS POST due no later than September 15. You are free to post as many as you like! Ask questions, explore patterns, discuss color options, get to know your team! Just don’t name your partner!
- COMPLETION POST due no later than September 30 with team hashtag AND #dqscomplete
- RECEIPT post when you have received your partner’s package
- DO NOT MAIL until I have commented on your COMPLETION POST and I have given the OK!!!!!!
- Keep a TRACKING NUMBER for your records and in case I need to follow-up.
I wanted to share a few links to helpful tutorials. Feel free to comment with additional ideas you want to share with the group!
Foundation Paper Piecing tutorial by Angela Walters:
Alternative method for Foundation Paper Piecing using freezer paper: https://bryanhousequilts.com/2019/03/freezer-paper-piecing-tutorial.html
Raw edge Applique tutorial
Freezer paper edge-turn Applique tutorial:
English Paper Piecing:
A great tutorial on making mitered binding corners and matching binding ends: https://youtu.be/5xdwdfEQrRc
How to keep postage costs down (written in Australia but tips apply generally):
AWESOME free printable quilt labels: https://www.brownbirddesignsquilts.com/2015/11/more-mini-quilt-swaps-plus-download-my-free-swap-labels/
The Disney umbrella is SO large I know it can be overwhelming to narrow down the options. I love Fandominstitches for paper-pieced patterns. They have sections sorted by movie and by time period. Best of all, the contributors offer all the patterns for FREE. Thank you Fandominstitches for the amazing inspiration!!!
Some of my favorites:
For traditional piecing options for beginners, you could try an Economy Block highlighting a different character in the center.
Applique is a great option for realistic shapes and lots of room for personalization. Some of my favorites:
NO extras are required, but if you want to add a small item or treat, go ahead!!
I HAVE to share this adorable earbud pouch idea from the Polka Dot Chair blog. How cute and functional!